In order to try to get myself to blog a bit more, I'm going to pilch an idea from some other blogs I've seen; namely, to initiate a "_____ Day". As I truly adore lists, making lists, buying special notebooks for lists, and finding those cute list pads that you magnetically attach to your refrigerator, my special day is going to be List Sunday. So here goes...
My 'Bad' Parenting List:
1. The Vs watch a lot of tv. In fact, it's my favorite babysitter. You cannot find a human that will actually watch your kids for $49.99 a month, so it's quite a steal.
2. Although I'm a brilliant cook, I have not actually made a meal since we moved into our new home (qualifier: Husband is still in Korea, so I've really no one to impress, as the Vs will eat anything that is semi-edible; with Vincent, it actually doesn't even have to be edible). My freezer looks like it did when I was still bartending and going to nursing school.
3. I spank. I've also gotten over my issues with disciplining in public; rather than dealing with a meltdown in the middle of Walmart and treating the masses to toy-denial-induced hysteria from my children, we march straight into the nearest bathroom to be "corrected". I've gotten many a knowing look from other parents as I frog-march Vladimir (with him screeching all the while "No, No, NOOOOO!!! I will STOP! Please DO NOT DO THIS!!! WHY oh WHY?!?!?") into the ladies' room, and to date, no one's called CPS to inform them that *gasp!* someone's being beaten in the bathroom (although with the way he carries on with one whack to the bottom you'd think I was yanking his toenails off one by one).
4. Both Vs got formula. I just didn't feel like breast feeding. Tried it, got tired of it, switched to a bottle.
5. When Big V trips and falls, I tell him to shake it off. We save the boo-boo kisses for active bleeding.
6. Both Vs cried it out when it came time to get a sleep schedule going. Vlad slept through at about five months, Vincent started at two.
7. We eat processed, non-organic, carb-and-calorie loaded foods. They're delicious.
8. As long as no one's way nakey, Vlad is allowed to watch PG-13 movies. Does that make me a hypocrite, that I allow guns and gore, but no naked boobs? Do I sound like I really care?
9. When the Vs yank the head off of a Barbie or run her over with a tank, I do not freak out and tell them to "be nice to Barbie!" or assume that they're going to grow up to be mysogynistic jerks. They do the same thing to GI Joe and Iron Man.
10. I'm pretty sure Vlad has never sung "The Wheels on the Bus Go Round and Round"; however he knows every word to "Supermassive Black Hole", "For Whom the Bell Tolls", and "Get Low". Vincent head bangs right along with him.
11. When Big V was being bitten nearly every goddamn day at daycare by the same kid (YES!! HE WENT TO DAYCARE!! THE HORROR!!) I did not have a meeting with his teacher or the director in order to "explore" the reasons the little shit was biting my kid. I told him to punch him in the nose the next time. Yes, I got a call a few days later about the kid's nose being bloodied. Guess who never got bitten again.
12. When my friends bring their kids over to my house, they are well aware that I will feed their kids Cheetos, let them watch Indiana Jones, and probably hear me yell "Dammit!" when I burn myself/stub my toe/trip over the baby gate. As far as I know, no one's banned from my house yet.
13. I appreciate my children so much more when I'm not around them 24/7.
14. They watch SpongeBob. I watch it with them.
15. When it comes to playing sports, I am That Parent. I like to Win. If we don't Win, we will practice even more. Their coaches will love me.
16. My kids will go to public school. When they come home with the Columbus Day fairy tale, or any other edited-for-U.S.-children "history," I will correct the sanitized version of events. Their teachers will love me.
17. Sometimes, we forgo the bath for a quick baby-wipe swipe-down, usually when I'm ready for them to Go To Bed Now. Nine pm is me time, no exceptions.
18. We are not Christians, and no, the Vs will not be going to Vacation Bible School "just for fun!" I think Jesus was probably a pretty cool dude before he was written up as a divine savior of all mankind. No, I don't care if that offends you.
19. I am not my children's "friend." I am their boss. That is all.